What is Supply Chain Innovation in Emerging Markets?
With over 40 percent of the world’s population living in emerging countries like Brazil, India, South Africa, and Mexico, there is a wealth of opportunities for companies that can profitably serve these customers. Developing supply chains in these markets, however, goes far beyond adapting the traditional approaches that have been successful in developed countries.
The Supply Chain Innovation in Emerging Markets research initiative focuses on understanding the unique characteristics of existing supply chains in Latin America, Africa, and Asia. The initiative aims to develop a deeper knowledge of the challenges and opportunities in identifying the process, as well as the technological innovations that will help build competitive logistics and supply chain networks in those markets.
How does it work?
The initiative focuses on three dimensions:
- Megacity Logistics Lab - One of the distinct characteristics of emerging markets is the existence of highly dense urban areas with a varying range of infrastructure and socioeconomic characteristics. See http://megacitylab.mit.edu for more information on activities in this area.
- Logistics Enablers - Determine the varying levels of physical, financial, and information infrastructure that allow connectivity within supply chain partners in emerging markets.
- Disruptive Technologies - Identify the disruptive technologies - or the innovative use of existing ones - that help overcome traditional barriers within the supply chain.(See http://edgarblanco.mit.edu/mlogistics)
Leveraging the MIT Global SCALE Network of partners, we have access to on-the-ground information of business practices and case studies.
- Case study development
- Benchmarking of operations
- Analysis of performance metrics
- Assessment of supply chain partner capabilities
- Annual conference
- Member workshops
What are the key benefits?
- Understand the dynamics of emerging markets
- Examine the challenges of building supply chains in emerging markets
- Build capabilities ahead of market penetration
- Transfer knowledge to developed markets
- Develop frameworks to analyze the opportunities in emerging markets
- Customize technology innovation
Key members of the team
The initiative is currently open for strategic partners of CLI in Latin America. CTL Supply Chain Exchange members may join the initiative by contacting Dr. Edgar E. Blanco.